Why Do People Use Wool for a Diaper Cover?
Wool is an absolutely amazing fiber. People have been using wool since the dawn of man, using mammoth wool for babies, feminine hygiene and clothing.
Wool and Moisture
Wool repels moisture first, water will bead right off fabric which is why many in England, Scotland and Ireland use it for outerwear. If there is too much moisture present, it will start to absorb. Wool will absorb approximately 30% its weight before even feeling damp. It also air dries extremely quickly, much faster than cotton. In fact, I have personally dried a cover in 1 hour with a simple fan blowing beside a drying rack.
Wool’s Antibacterial Properties
Wool actually kills bacteria naturally. A diaper cover soaked in urine, will smell clean after it dries; Really and truly it does. Wool is used in medical applications on wheelchairs and braces because it can handle being right up close and personal with a human for long periods of time and not need to be washed. Did you ever notice even the toughest motorcycle clubs use wool to pad their seats! Its like that old motto, if its yellow let it mellow if its brown flush it down, please do wash if it gets really dirty.
Now a lot of people think of wool as being warm and cozy, just for cold winters. There are also a lot of people that really know that wool is for all year comfort. People of the hottest desert climates use wool to wick away sweat and block the sun with breathable coolness. It is a breathable fiber with the amazing natural property that it keeps you cool in the heat and warm in the cold. The upper businessmen in the know prefer wool suits to keep them comfortable and avoid those nasty sweats. Wool has been used for bedding, padding for medical applications to reduce sores, clothing and more for centuries.
Wool is Biodegradable
Because wool is a natural fiber, it is biodegradable. It won’t clog up our landfill or contribute to the mountains of plastic trash in our oceans. If you are using cloth diapers, you are already helping out Mother Earth, but using more natural products like wool, cotton and hemp just takes it to the next level.
Diaper Covers and Children’s Clothing
So knowing all we know now about wool, you may have already put together why people are using wool for diaper covers. You and I both know you can get a pair of mass produced pants for a fraction of the cost, or a plastic diaper cover. Bumby is designed to last for years of use, stretching to fit the same child for ages, or passed between siblings. We also have a healthy Buy, Sell and Trade market to recoup some of your costs. To summarize:
- A breathable natural diaper cover that reduces rashes
- Extreme comfort for all weather wear and squishy softness
- Easy to wash and care for, our wool is machine washable and air dries amazingly fast
- Temperature regulating to reduce night sweats
- Handmade by moms
- Loads of colours and styles to match any wardrobe
- Antibacterial, ever wished you had a self-cleaning bathroom, kitchen… or laundry did itself?!? Well now you can have self cleaning pants!
- Bumby has an amazing group of customers we call our Flock. We talk about many things, and have developed long standing friendships. It is a drama free zone where we embrace the love of natural parenting, natural fibers and revel in the love for our kids